More akin to a brownie, this decadent recipe is a perfect pairing with those season berries or fruits that gives your cheeks a tingle. Serves 8.
Rowie Dillon’s Decadent Gooey Chocolate Cake
230g (8 oz) dark (60-65 percent cacao) chocolate
230g (8oz) unsalted butter, coarsely chopped and softened
290g (10 oz) sugar
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
130g (4 ½ oz) amaranth flour
Cocoa powder or pure confectioners’ (icing) sugar, to dust
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (300°F). Lightly grease and line a 20cm (8 in) springform cake pan.
2. In a medium bowl, melt together the dark chocolate and butter over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring every few seconds until mixture is smooth. Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water. Set aside and allow to cool slightly still on top of the water bath.
3. In a large bowl, use electric beaters to beat the sugar and eggs on medium-high speed until fluffy and double the volume, approximately 3-5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and salt.
4. Stir in the chocolate mixture, then sift in the amaranth flour and fold it in until the mixture is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the cake is set and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
6. You will get a nice cracked finish on top so you may wish to dust your cake with cocoa powder or pure confectioners’ (icing) sugar.